If you’re running your own business, writing a blog is probably the last thing you have time for. Yet this simple promotional tool can help more than you think. A professional blog gives customers a way to learn more about you; it can add a personal touch to your image that sets you apart from other companies.
At Reputation Defender we encourage all our clients to use blogging as a reputation building tool. Any individual can improve their online profile with a professional well-written blog, but for a business this is even more important. Brand development is all about defining yourself online, and there’s no better way to do this than by creating genuine content. Unlike direct advertising, blog posts can draw in people interested in a variety of topics, and help show the company is committed to more than profit.
The good news is you don’t necessarily have to write the blog yourself.
You can delegate the job to a lower level marketer with a talent for writing, or even outsource it to a company that specialises in professional writing. Just be sure to proofread the finished posts and check for style or content that doesn’t fit with image you want to present.
The Advantages of Blogging
Here are 6 ways a blog can help your company:
- Be Your Customers’ Best Resource – Some people visiting your website know exactly what they want and are prepared to purchase right away. Others have questions. Maybe they already bought the product and want to know more about it. Maybe they have a future purchase in mind and want to educate themselves before they make a decision. If customers know they can find answers on your blog, it will keep them coming back to your site.
- Boost Rankings – More people visiting your site will generate more traffic and this will improve your rankings with Google and other search engines. Getting your website at the top of the search result page for your brand is the goal of any ORM campaign and blogging will help accomplish this.
- Increase Revenue – Every time someone clicks on your website is another chance to gain a new customer. New customers who keep coming back to read your blog are likely to turn into long term clients. This all adds up to a sustained increase in profits.
- Create Shareable Content – Blog posts can be shared across all the company’s social media pages, keeping them up-to-date and generating interest and traffic at the same time. Ranking these results is important, since they help to fill up the first page of a targeted search and push any negative stories or reviews onto later pages.
- Build Credibility – Blog posts can also be republished on LinkedIn’s Pulse platform, one of the most important resources for professionals on the web. Over time, this will increase the company’s influence and standing within the industry so that smaller business start linking to your site.
- Create a Socially Responsible Image – A blog is a good place to share why you decided to start your company and what your goals are for the future. You can tell customers what goes on behind the scenes and post updates on any charity work the company is involved with. Regular inspirational messages resonate with people emotionally and keep them coming back to read your blog and learn more about the company.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking that a company blog is just a frill. It is a worthwhile investment which will help to build the company’s reputation and generate long term positive relationships with customers.